In recognition of Diabetes Awareness Month each November, the American Diabetes Association is raising awareness of this ever-growing disease. American Diabetes Month® (ADM) is an important element in this effort, with programs designed to focus the nation’s attention on the issues surrounding diabetes and the many people who are impacted by the disease.
Here are just a few of the recent statistics on diabetes:
- Nearly 26 million children and adults in the United States have diabetes.
- Another 79 million Americans have prediabetes and are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes.
- The American Diabetes Association estimates that the total national cost of diagnosed diabetes in the United States is $245 billion.
- One in 10 health care dollars is spent treating diabetes and its complications.
- One in five health care dollars is spent caring for people with diabetes.
For more, go to diabetes.org.